11.29.2007

Money!

Money...
It's easy to philosophize about money.
Money is really useless. It's just numbers that get pushed around, added and subtracted and divided (it seems to take a genius to multiply money). Paper money will do you no good if you eat, is too difficult to make clothes from and you would be very disappointed if you tried live under a roof made of paper money.
Made of money... What does this mean anyway? Sounds empty and cold.
God talks about money a lot. He says: "Dishonest money dwindles away, but he who gathers money little by little makes it grow." Proverbs 13:11 Actually, in Ecclesiates 7:12 it says that "Wisdom is a shelter as money is a shelter, but the advantage of knowledge is this: that wisdom preserves the life of its possessor." Implying that though money will shelter your physical body it will save you eternal soul. The following is my favorite story about money, keep in mind that Simon has already believed and his eternal destiny is with God in heaven:

Acts 8 (NIV)
18"When Simon saw that the Spirit was given at the laying on of the apostles' hands, he offered them money 19and said, "Give me also this ability so that everyone on whom I lay my hands may receive the Holy Spirit."
20Peter answered: "May your money perish with you, because you thought you could buy the gift of God with money! 21You have no part or share in this ministry, because your heart is not right before God. 22Repent of this wickedness and pray to the Lord. Perhaps he will forgive you for having such a thought in your heart. 23For I see that you are full of bitterness and captive to sin."
24Then Simon answered, "Pray to the Lord for me so that nothing you have said may happen to me."
And finally, you cannot bet your life on a dollar. Yesterday, a dollar was sufficient for a month of a child's allowance; today a dollar isn't "enough" for much of anything and continues to decrees in value. Money is always changing.
So, give your life instead to God, and you know what: ask God to show you how He would have you use the money that you have/will have so that you can glorify God with every part of your life.
PS. Start by giving ten percent to your local church (AKA: tithe).

3 comments:

sgreenjeans said...

This is me, preaching to myself... again. Or maybe it's the Holy Spirit reminding me that I know what is right and to keep it up. Do not love what you've been given more than Him who gave it.

Katie said...

"Do I read your blog?"

What kind of question is that. First, yes. Secondly, do you think anyone who DOESN'T read your blog will vote in that poll. Thirdly, do you know how much I enjoy anything that comes from you?

sgreenjeans said...

Katie,
It's a silly question and yes I thought it all the way through before I posted it. :D
First, I'm glad you read my blog. Second, no.
Third, I'm glad you enjoy anything that comes from me. Thank you.
And thanks for commenting. :D