5.12.2007

The Power of the Mind

The sun is shining. It's 8:30AM. I've had at least ten people ask me, "Are you nervous?" in the last week or so. "No," I answered. I believed I was speaking the truth. I didn't have knots or butterflies in my stomach and as far as knew that is how "nervousness" presents itself to me. At 9:00AM Mom and I got in the car and headed for the oral surgeon. We made a quick stop to JoAnn Fabrics first. Seemed like I should be cheerful, since the sun was shining, but I just couldn't find anything to be cheerful about.
We arrived at the doctor's office and mom asked if it would be alright with me if she went shopping. Sure, I wasn't nervous, so have a nice time while I stay here in the hands of these strangers and get three of my teeth yanked out.
9:50: "Sara" called the nurse. She seemed nice. I followed her back to a nice big room. Now, I was wearing short sleeves, which for most people isn't a problem, but I really am the most comfortable in long sleeves. One of the nurses asked me if I wanted a blanket, "What would I want a blanket for?" I asked. "If you are cold." she answered. I wasn't cold, but I should've accepted the blanket anyway, for comfort.
After I was a little situated the doctor came in, he's nice also. He started me off with some laughing gas, which actually made me laugh, but the things I was thinking like: "Isn't weird that I can actually feel myself falling asleep?" and "Who turned the lights out!" were actually funny. :D
He put in the IV, didn't hurt. I was then asleep.
I remember playing with the monitor on my finger. "No, no, honey. That has to stay on," says one of the nurses. And I fell back to sleep again.
At some point I woke up. The nurse tells me that they had to stop because I struggled.
I WHAT!!
I started crying. I was exhausted. That was a lot of work.
According to the nurse I had an "adverse reaction to the anesthesia."
In other words: I became violent. :D
I know what you're thinking, 'Sweet little Sara was violent?" Yep.
I'm told that I started by kicking my legs, then I tried to take the monitor off my finger (that was where they tried to wake me up), at some point, though my arms were strapped to the chair, I got loose and tried to yank the doctor's arm out of my mouth. The nurses were surprised. They said that about 1 in 40 people react the way I did. The nurse said, "You must have been subconsciously nervous."
I think there's a scripture that pertains, "The heart is decietful above all things and beyond cure. Who can know it?" Jeremiah 17:9
So, what would normally have taken 15 minutes took 45. Rather than having 3 teeth pulled I one. Instead of going once and getting it over with I have to go twice. Next time, I'll have to be half awake so that they can talk me through, hopefully I'll be able to have some self control. But the sun was still shining.
I'm feeling pretty good today two days later, still can't talk too much. Even with all that ordeal the doctor was kind enough not to bruise me... though I hope I didn't bruise him. :D

2 comments:

Janel said...

Oh wow Sara, My oral surgery was a bit less dramatic. I did try to rub my face though. That was about as interesting as I got...non of that violent thing.:)

Katie said...

Sweet little Sara. ;-)

Glad you're doing ok....

Praying for you still!